Who we are
The Scottish Community Development Centre (SCDC) supports best practice in community development and is recognised by the Scottish Government as the national lead body for community development. The organisation works across sectors and with a wide range of professions to support community engagement and community capacity building in any context and at strategic and practice level.
SCDC launched as a Company Ltd by Guarantee and registered Charity in Scotland on the 1st July 2009. Previously a partnership between the Community Development Foundation (CDF) and the University of Glasgow, SCDC is a vibrant charity in its own right with its activities based firmly in Scotland.
SCDC's vision is for an active, inclusive and just Scotland where our communities are strong, equitable and sustainable.
SCDC's mission is supporting best practice in community development. Our three key priorities for achieving our mission are to;
- Influence policy by researching issues and contributing to government working groups and committees on related policy issues
- Work with agencies and partnerships to achieve effective community engagement and community participation
- Build strong, healthy, sustainable and equitable communities
Our role in supporting best practice in community development operates at four levels:
- with policy makers who set the conditions within which community development is practiced
- with public bodies and partnerships whose work is informed by community development principles
- with dedicated community development agencies and their staff in the voluntary and statutory sector
- directly with community groups and organisations
At all these levels, SCDC promotes the core principles and values of community development.